As I promised this post is a continuation of Five Things Writers Need To Stop Doing.
- Stop complaining about everything. Writing and rewriting and editing and blogging and all those wonderful things you do are NOT easy. But that is no reason for you to complain. Do not whine. Do not complain. It won’t solve your problems. Be happy that your work is demanding because if writing a novel or maintaining a blog was easy, everyone would be doing it. Then it wouldn’t be such a big deal anymore, would it? Anything worth doing requires hard work, dedication, commitment, etc. So commit to it and vow to never complain again.
- Stop downgrading your abilities. You are talented. Don’t let anyone tell you that you aren’t. Even worse don’t tell yourself you aren’t talented enough to make it in this industry. There are enough people out there being negative already. Don’t add one more person to that list.
- Stop criticizing your writing. If you have ever been bullied in your life then you know how much it sucks. If you bully yourself over your writing, it’s bound to be ten times as worse. So why do it? Why aim for perfection only to criticize yourself even further because you have such high expectations? Just write. Everything will take care of itself eventually.
- Stop the blame game. You can’t blame your family, your kids, your agent, your editor, the world, global warming, or zombies…when things go wrong. Yes, there will be people that get in your way and other obstacles you have to face. Life isn’t fair. Perhaps, that’s why we all like pointing fingers and blaming other individuals so much. But this is your life and your career. Own up to your mistakes. That way you can own up to your accomplishments too.
- Stop dreaming. Dreams are simply visions. Visions are just mental pictures in your mind that are not real. Intangible wishes. Ideas that aren’t put to paper simply go to the dump, never to be used again. Dreams are not the same as goals so find out how to turn those dreams into well-defined, realistic, specific goals and start working towards them. Wake up and start doing something. Go. Write. Edit. NOW.
There you have it. Five more things writers, bloggers, authors, novelists, etc., should all stop doing.
Feel free to add any I may have missed.