- “Writing is like so easy. How hard can it possibly be?” All I can do when I hear this is shake my head sadly. If you have ever uttered these words in your lifetime, I hope you don’t become a writer.
- “Writing is like so boring.” or the more rude version: “Writing is stupid.” This one is plain rude. How would you liked it if I called your hobby/passion boring or stupid?
- “Are you published?” For the record, don’t assume a writer is no good if they are not published. Writers are writers regardless of whether or not they are published or not.
- “I have always wanted to write a book.” If you really wanted it, you would have done it already. If you started writing a book, I applaud you. If you actually finished a book and I’m talking legitimately finish, I have much more respect for you. Now if only you were published…
- “Can you make me a character in your book?” No. I don’t care who you are. I will not make you a character in my book especially after that comment.
- “Do you make any money from writing?” For the curious souls out there, yes I have. That doesn’t make this question any less personal.
- “Can I read your manuscript?” Most of the time I would say no. Don’t get offended. It’s not personal. In fact, I don’t let many people read my manuscripts for obvious reasons known to all writers out there.
- “Why don’t you ever leave the house?” I do leave my house. I just don’t leave it often. Besides, writing takes priority over most things/people/responsibilities in my life.
- “So what is your book about?” I get annoyed whenever someone asks me this. Sure, it’s a valid question but it gets on my nerves nonetheless.
- “Stop stalking him!” Okay, this is 1. rude and 2. annoying. The only reason I haven’t murdered you yet is because I have better things to do than stalk people with my life. Hello?! I make time to write despite going to school, finishing my homework, studying for exams, doing any chores or housework, participating in after-school activities, volunteering, maintaining this wonderful blog, among other vital things in my life like sleeping and eating. How I have any time to stalk anyone is absurd to put it nicely.
I could think of more…I am sure other writers could think of things they would never want to hear again.
I’m sure this list will continue to grow as I continue my journey as a writer. That does not bother me at all. I am thankful for the support I have and the people that understand where I am coming from. Cheers to all the writers out there. Continue doing what you love to do regardless of what anyone says.