So I’ve posted these already on my Facebook and Twitter pages but I wanted to compile a list of all 25 tips together. Also, if you would like you can find these on my Facebook page and my Twitter feed where I post one writing tip a day.
- Fall in love with reading first. Then fall in love with writing next.
- Learn the rules of good writing before you break them.
- Perfect the art of imperfection.
- What is obvious to you may not necessarily be obvious to your audience.
- Writing starts with one person: you.
- Do: be specific. Do not: be vague.
- Every line in your story must be there for a reason. If there isn’t, get rid of it.
- To avoid confusion, avoid jargon.
- Avoid starting a sentence with a numeral.
- Before you become a full-fledged writer, you must first stop making excuses.
- Your writing can constantly be improved upon. You just have to look hard enough and actually want to improve your writing.
- Know your characters inside and out.
- Care about your characters. If you do not care, how do you expect anyone else to?
- Write when you are the most alert.
- Writing is about consistency. The more consistent, the better.
- Simplify, shorten, and streamline.
- Write what you know but write what you don’t know too.
- Write and read but above all, stay human.
- If it works, keep it. If it doesn’t, kill it.
- Always seek feedback.
- Don’t write like anyone else but yourself.
- The beautiful thing about writing is you don’t need to get it right the first time.
- Make your writing great despite how long it takes.
- Some decisions may be based more on style instead of grammatical correctness.
- Do not worry about quality on the first draft.
More writing tips: