So I’ve posted these already on my Facebook and Twitter pages but I wanted to compile a list of all 25 tips together. Also, if you would like you can find these on my Facebook page and my Twitter feed where I post one writing tip a day.
- Fall in love with reading first. Then fall in love with writing next.
- Learn the rules of good writing before you break them.
- Perfect the art of imperfection.
- What is obvious to you may not necessarily be obvious to your audience.
- Writing starts with one person: you.
- Do: be specific. Do not: be vague.
- Every line in your story must be there for a reason. If there isn’t, get rid of it.
- To avoid confusion, avoid jargon.
- Avoid starting a sentence with a numeral.
- Before you become a full-fledged writer, you must first stop making excuses.
- Your writing can constantly be improved upon. You just have to look hard enough and actually want to improve your writing.
- Know your characters inside and out.
- Care about your characters. If you do not care, how do you expect anyone else to?
- Write when you are the most alert.
- Writing is about consistency. The more consistent, the better.
- Simplify, shorten, and streamline.
- Write what you know but write what you don’t know too.
- Write and read but above all, stay human.
- If it works, keep it. If it doesn’t, kill it.
- Always seek feedback.
- Don’t write like anyone else but yourself.
- The beautiful thing about writing is you don’t need to get it right the first time.
- Make your writing great despite how long it takes.
- Some decisions may be based more on style instead of grammatical correctness.
- Do not worry about quality on the first draft.
More writing tips:
25 Writing Tips For Writers, Editors, and Authors (Part 2)
25 Writing Tips For Writers, Editors, and Authors (Part 3)
25 Writing Tips For Writers, Editors, and Authors (Part 4)
25 Writing Tips For Writers, Editors, and Authors (Part 5)
10 thoughts on “25 Writing Tips For Writers, Editors, and Authors”
What a great list! I would point out a favourite but all 25 are such gems. Thank you for sharing!
I appreciate it. That’s very kind of you to say. I’ll have another list in 25 more days!
Reblogged this on Plotting Bunnies and commented:
This short, sweet and simple list recaps 25 of the most basic checklist for writers. While reading, I was reminded of Sun Tzu’s The Art of War. The best advice is quite often the most simple.
Oh #4 is key, also #19. Good list Herminia!
Aha they truly are. I think sometimes we forget about these things so I hope this list will serve as a reminder to everyone. Thank you!
Reblogged this on One Starving Activist.
Reblogged this on thependanttrilogy.
Love this list! Thanks for sharing. #19 is a great one!
Thank you Amanda. Just as long as writers don’t get too overly attached to their writing, it shouldn’t be hard to get rid of something that doesn’t work.