First drafts suck. But they have to exist in order to be bad. Still, a terrible first draft is better than a non-existent one any day of the week.
Here are my tips for tackling them.
- Come up with a plan.
- Know your purpose.
- Prioritize your writing time.
- Write first.
- Edit later.
- Silence your inner editor.
- Make and meet deadlines.
- Set goals, especially small ones.
- Take enough breaks.
- Have incentives.
- Treat yourself to rewards.
- Rest, relax, recharge.
- Continue to live your life.
- Surround yourself with support.
Go forth and write that messy first draft. You can always make it better after you finish telling your initial story.