Whether it’s your first time or your tenth, here are some things to keep in mind as you write that novel.
This isn’t an ultimate guide by any means. Just some bad advice from an aspiring writer.
- Take it word by word. Don’t worry about the 10,000th word or the 100,000th word. Think about the next one.
- Edit later. Writing is hard enough as it is. Stop making the creative process harder for yourself. Besides, you can always fix your mistakes later.
- Use good tools. If you prefer pen and paper, pick something that writes well. If you prefer typing, choose the word processor you like best. You don’t have to break the bank, but your tool needs to do its job.
- Write the scene you want. Feel free to jump around from the beginning to the ending to the middle.
- Enjoy yourself. Play your favourite songs. Have a drink nearby. Grab a snack or ten.
- Live a little. Actually, live a lot. Go outside. Experience the world so you’re able to tell rich stories. You can’t shut yourself inside all day and night.
- Have good posture. Your future self will thank you.
- Keep your mind open. Don’t shoot down your ideas right away. Sometimes the craziest idea turns out better than you could ever imagine.
- Challenge yourself. You’re capable of accomplishing far more than you give yourself credit for.