5 reasons people avoid writing in general besides the obvious one: “I HATE WRITING.”
In which case, if you do hate writing even more than getting a root canal, something might be wrong.
So should you avoid writing? No. Many of the excuses listed below are not all too important in the grand scheme of things. Read on and you will see why.
- “I won’t get published.” With some time, a lot of effort, and a little bit of luck it isn’t impossible to achieve this.
- “No one will read what I write.” I am sure at least one person will. Maybe that’s your mom, your friend, or even a complete stranger. You never know unless you make an attempt to get your work out there.
- “It won’t make the bestseller list.” Sure, making The New York Times Bestseller List is a big deal. But nobody writes for the sake of rewards, awards, or bragging rights. You write because you love writing. Simple. Don’t make it complicated. Besides, writing is easier if you love the work and not everything that comes after it.
- “People, critics, and everyone in the world will hate what I have to say.” Of course you won’t please everyone, but once again you do not write to please anyone else aside from yourself. Some people may hate what you say, some won’t.
- “I will have to make sacrifices.” Ah yes you will make plenty of sacrifices. This one will be hard to avoid. Still, the sacrifice or sacrifices made will be worth it. I promise.
I hope you had an excellent weekend filled with writing, reading, blogging among other fantastic activities. And if you are the lucky few with a long weekend, enjoy the extended break away from work where you can get even more writing done!